How many times have you been out walking and seen litter on your way? Discarded wrappers from crisps, energy bars and snacks; the remains of food; the inevitable empty plastic water bottle...
So we at Walks Around Britain have decided to do something about it.
We've launched our 2 Minute Path Clean - aimed at encouraging walkers all across Britain to spend just 2 minutes of every walk tidying up an area as they go along.
It doesn't matter where that area is - be it on the top of Wansfell Pike or in the car park where a walk starts - but if we all did a little bit to help keep our countrysides and landscapes litter-free, the better it is for us as walkers and for the environment too.
2 Minute Path Clean
There's two parts to our 2 Minute Path Clean...
- encouraging walkers to spend just 2 minutes of every walk tidying up an area as they go along.
- educating walkers not to drop anything whilst out walking... not even items thought as "ok" to leave behind.
- Simply by taking a large refuse bag with you in your backpack.
- When you find somewhere with a lot of litter, pick it up in the bag.
- Put your hand inside the bag to pick up the litter, if you don't want to get dirty, and then turn the bag inside out - like using a dog poo bag.
- Bring the full bag and empty it in the nearest bin - or bring it home so you can sort through it to make sure as much as possible is recycled.
|Paper bag||1 month|
|Apple core||8 weeks|
|Orange peel and banana skins||2 years|
|Cigarette end||18 months to 500 years|
|Plastic bag||10 to 20 years|
|A plastic bottle||450 years|
1 million years