A lovely linear walk from Wolverhampton City Centre to Aldersley Junction, along the tow path of the Birmingham Old Main Line canal.
Discover the Black Country's industrial heritage along this easy accessible walk which starts at Wolverhampton's railway station and finishes alongside Aldersley Leisure Village - with a bus back to the city centre.
2 miles (3.2km)
|Drop of 178ft (54m)|
Level of difficulty
|Well defined canal towpaths & |
|Grid SO 91951 98859|
|Car parks in Wolverhampton City Centre|
|In Wolverhampton Railway Station|
- Walk outside Wolverhampton railway station towards the city centre.
- Before crossing the bridge over the ring road, take the path on the left that slopes down to the road level.
- At the junction, turn right and walk underneath the bridge to the station.
- Walk on the pavement with the ring road on the left.
- At the junction with the A4124 Wednesfield Road, carefully cross over this road to the path on the far side.
- Walk down this path to join the Birmingham Main Line Canal on the left.
- After the first bridge over the canal, the canal basin opens wider for a while, before reaching the first major lock.
- The pattern repeats, with a wide area of canal followed by a lock.
- Then, the canal turns a sharp right and goes underneath the railway - followed by another series of locks.
- The canal goes under the A460 Cannock Road, following which there's a series of six locks one after each other.
- Next, the canal is intersected by three railway bridges. The first two are fairly low down as they cross the canal - and only the furthest of the two still carries a railway.
- Then the third railway bridge is the impressive viaduct which carries the track high above the whole area.
- Four more locks and the A449 Stafford Road daul carridgeway passes over head.
- Another lock, and then another massive railway viaduct.
- There's another five locks as the canal bends around to the right and finally meets up with the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal.
- Follow the tow path as it turns to the right and cross over the brick bridge to the other side of the canal.
- Instead of turning left or right along the canal, continue fowards along the path between the trees.
- Turn left to walk alongside the two sports grounds.
- Follow the path past the car park on the left and then follow the access road to Aldersley Lesiure Centre onto Aldersley Road.
- The bus stop for service 6 back to Wolverhampton city centre is to the right and on this side of the street.